13 July 2011

フット・ボール Fußball Football

Their quarterfinal match against Germany was a shocker.

Their semifinal match against Sweden was beautiful to watch. Sawa's header and Kawasumi's beauty to put them up 3-1 were exciting goals to see.

On Sunday in the final, Japan meets USA in Frankfurt for the World Cup.

The New York Yankees should have won the World Series in 2001. I am pulling for Japan this year. Less than four months after the horrendous Tsunami. Often, the team was not able to practice because of electric outages and water shortages. Yet they have reached the final. There isn't one superstar whose name we know. Rather, this is a young team of women who are playing beautiful football together. The captain, Sawa, is selfless and inspiring. The unflappable Sameshima moves on the field like Mozart composed music. Ohno, Ando, and Miyama, smiling as they ball blaze. And goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori, who is taller than she seems.

You'll hear their names again this weekend. Go Nippon!

4 comments:

Anil P said...

Against all odds, against all natural odds I must say. Maybe it made them stronger.

Rouchswalwe said...

Beautifully said, Anil! I detect a selfless cohesion in this team; the women depend on one another. It does my heart good to see this.

☆sapphire said...

Thank you, Rouchswalwe for rooting for the Nadeshiko Japan. I'm a little sleepy now, for I watched TV very early in the morning. To tell you the truth, we didn't expect their victory. But we really hoped that they would do their best because they had many tough situations to overcome due to the 3:11 aftermath.
I'll take a long vacation after posting one more. Have a lovely summer and enjoy it! And Happy Brewing!!

Rouchswalwe said...

Sapphire! It was a superb victory! They played with heart and skill in a real nail-biter of a game. Hurrah!!!